Wednesday 30 March 2022

March 30

Masks away!

My good day yesterday was made better by one seemingly unimportant move - not to have to wear a mask. It has taken a long time, 611 days.

It was ordered, reluctantly, by prime minister Johnson in July 2020, months after most European countries and pleas from health organisations.

I wore mine yesterday for my visit to the hearing aid clinic and have got rid of all but one. I enjoyed driving my scooter into the Tesco supermarket, barefaced.

How many lives has it saved.? Impossible to tell, but over the centuries, countless millions.

Masks have been used throughout the world for many purposes including rituals and religion, burials, entertainment, shaming, disguise, and health.

The earliest surviving mask was worn in 7000 BC.  They were used during plagues and in 1920 the modern health mask was introduced in Germany and the USA before being adopted universally in the present pandemic.

Famous personal masks include Guy Fawkes, Phantom of the Opera, and Batman.

Mine is now in my health file.



No comments:

Post a Comment