Friday 18 March 2022

March 18

 Good and bad

The joyful homecoming of two British citizens after years held prisoner in Iran set me thinking of good and bad days, months and, even, years.

Most of us have faced hard times, for all sorts of reasons and in different circumstances, but we have had to try to put them behind us and get on with our life.

I have been inordinately fortunate all my life in having had so little setbacks which makes it easy for me to take a positive attitude.

On a bad day I tell myself tomorrow will be better, and almost invariably it has been, so far.

And I am surprised at how quickly disappointments and problems that seemed intractable dim in our memory.

What are our feelings now as Covid, despite statistics which even a few weeks ago would have worried us ?

The pandemic is a mere shadow compared with the blackness we endured for all those months.

For most of us that time and experience is something to look back on with relief and thankfulness.

In my diary I told of the first year of the pandemic and its effect on my life.

I did so to pass on to my great grandchildren a unique experience; the pandemic, the  disruption, deaths and the carers who shielded us.

We will never forgot it but passing time will soften our memories.

It ihas done with my recollection of 1939 to 1949 and the devastating bombing in London.

The even worse destruction wreaked on Ukraine cities will, must never, be forgotten,  but  people will get their homes and life back. And they will gradually see better times.

It is the good day following the bad.






No comments:

Post a Comment