Sunday 27 March 2022

My Buckinghamshire holiday

At my age, expectations for an exciting life and stimulating lifestyle should be modest, naturally limited. It should be a time of comfort and gentle satisfaction, of memories, sad and happy. Bitter sweet. I cannot believe how different it has become for me.

A few months ago I was contemplating the increasingly realistic prospect of a steady decline, physically and mentally, like most of the residents at Sunrise Cardiff  care home. I countered this as far as I could by writing, reading and taking part in the activities.

Today my life has changed dramatically. I have a new home and a new life.

There is no better illustration of this than the time I have spent with Robert, Karen and Owen - not forgetting Rufus their lively, loveable dog. It was a delight. For four days I have enjoyed family life and new experiences which I thought were gone.

Every day was a new pleasure, organised to give me my own time and the chance to see new sights.

Among those was a visit with Karen to Owen’s school, Merchant Taylors’, one of the oldest schools  in Britain. For centuries based in the city of London, it moved out of the capital to acres of lovely countryside, with distinctively designed buildings, for work and sport, including extensive playing fields, and a concert hall.

I thought my school, Emanuel, Wandsworth, my time there cut short by the outbreak of war, was impressive but this is on a totally different scale

What a privilege for its 1,000 boys. Owen is making the best possible use of its facilities and advantages. Apart from his success in the educational side of life he is enjoying new experiences, in music and drama and the prospect of a successful future, whatever path he decides to take.

His range of activities includes yachting which he has taken up with his usual enthusiasm and skill. As with his school, the facilities at the sailing club and lake at the lovely Rickmansworth park with its lakes are excellent.


Cliveden


Another exciting day in my mini holiday was a guided tour by Robert of Cliveden, the magnificent former Astor family mansion and estate overlooking the Thames. 

Cliveden's Long Garden

I have seen many historic homes and estates, mansions and castles, in Britain and overseas and Cliveden is one of the finest.  In the warm spring sunshine, with its magnificently designed grounds, its miles of topiary, the multitude of daffodils and the superb Long Garden lined with limitless primroses it is a sheer delight.

More mundane, but for me with shopping a lifelong pleasure, was the expedition with Karen to nearby Beaconsfield where I bought a shoes and new sunglasses, essential with sunshine every day.



My stay at Chalfont St Giles ended with a celebration dinner at the White Hart where they had booked my room. (I could not stay with them as I could not manage the stairs.) Each day Robert called for me, after breakfast ready for the day’s adventure.

As always, Robert and Karen had planned everything to make my holiday safe and easy. When they first suggested I should use a wheelchair I was hesitant. To me that sounded ‘too old’, but it proved just right for the programme.




It has been one of the most memorable holidays in my life, one of the happiest over many years. There was some sadness, too, as I recalled the times Rosemary and I had spent with our two families but it only served to emphasise my incredibly good fortune in being loved and looked after so well

As I left the White Hart Robert booked my room there for Christmas.

I am old  -  very old,  but my life is still a pleasure. I hope it will continue for some time yet.

No comments:

Post a Comment