Monday 7 February 2022

February 8

 February 8

Yesterday I eulogised over the kindness and help I am getting every day but there is also a different, more difficult aspect of life for the elderly and handicapped - the insensitivity and downright inefficiency of many organisations.

Moving to a new home involves a frightening range of decisions and actions and I have at times almost despaired at the unnecessary obstacles I have had to overcome.

I am fortunate, even at my age and with my physical problems to still be alert and, thanks to the support and skill of my family, be able to handle the complicated procedures needed.

But it has been made difficult and frustrating when the essential needs of the elderly are not recognised. 

I am reasonably aufait with the internet but there are five million people over eighty in the UK who  have probably no experience who find it bewildering.

Providing detailed information essential for a home move must be almost impossible for them.

My experience yin setting up home - including lighting, heating, telephone and television - is has proved difficult for me and a worry for my family.

Yesterday, after six weeks of effort, I finally managed to arrange direct debit for the gas supply. 

I tried many times to do it myself on the telephone but with my poor hearing I failed to negotiate the hurdles of the automated reply system with its baffling list of alternative actions, made even more difficult by lack of clear, deliberate speach by call centre staff.

I succeeded at last, but only by Melissa, my home help/carer and  I spending one hour on the phone.

After giving essential information we were ‘put on hold’ for over half an hour for a human voice to deal with us.

I sat holding the phone while Melissa carried on working around the flat.

And  tomorrow we I will be at it again, this time for the electricity company. Thank goodness that at least the services, arranged by my son Robert, have been working since I moved in.

It has also been difficult getting my tv licence - after weeks of effort I was threatened with action.

Other obstacles include detailed questionnaires on the internet and even finding the correct adddress to make a query or provide information.

I am still waiting for my winter heating allowance after failing to give the Department of Work and Pensions my new address even though I sent an Email message.

Even the the NHS are not free of inefficiency. When I cancelled an operation appointment helped by my son there was utter confusion with them making a series of phone calls and letters over many days.

There are some exceptions to this bewildering maze, including notably the Vale of Glamorgan Council, who have been excellent, and Motability, but generally in my experience old people, especially especially the handicapped. are being poorly served.

After many years in local government public relations trying to inform, interest and involve the public, I urge government departments and major companies to recognise that they must do better.











No comments:

Post a Comment