Thursday 10 February 2022

February 10

 February 10

Intensive care. In the pandemic that has meant harassed medical teams desperately trying to save lives.

But for me it also has another, totally different meaning which was proved again yesterday at the Heath Hospital.

I know the hospital well, too well in some way.

I remember the official opening 51 years ago. I had returned to work at city hall just days before after being away for three months so was not involved in organising it.

A neighbour of Rosemary’s parents in Penarth, Bill Jeffcott, the chairman of the hospital board, formally welcomed the Queen.

Since that day I have visited the hospital countless times, mostly worrying or sad occasions, visiting sick relatives and friends and spending her last few days with Rosemary.

Most of the visits were to clinics, usually involving hours of waiting.

This week I was back again, for an eye clinic appointment deferred almost three years ago when the pandemic struck.

It was a long but successful day. From the time I was picked up by ambulance at my flat and delivered home six hours later I could not have been better treated or looked after.

There was warmth and friendliness, with everyone making sure I was safe and at ease. 

I was called in for my first examination precisely on time and over the next two and a half hours had a succession of tests and scans with a team led by the professor who had seen Rosemary many times.

I was watched over by the staff who came with me to each of the treatment rooms and made sure was comfortable.

They explained clearly what was being done and what was needed and when I was given a complicated health questionnaire, a young trainee eye doctor sat with me and helped me complete it.

During the long wait in reception for the ambulance team to take me home I was kept up to date on timing.

It had been a long day for them, too, more than twelve hours, but the driver and his assistant were cheerful and efficient. It took them them ten minutes to get another patient into the ambulance and they managed to almost carry me into my seat.

Then came the drive in the dark, a mystery tour as I tried trying to identify the route we were taking.

Home at 7pm but it had been worth the time and effort.

And it proved that, despite the long hours and stress, our NHS staff are superb.





















































H





 

















 


clinicI I saw

 































S

No comments:

Post a Comment