Monday 14 February 2022

February 14

Rugby

Almost eighty years since I played, rugby still fascinates me, for many reasons. The complexity, its thrills, robustness, camaradarie. A nationalistic obsession. For Wales, a religion.

My rugby career was short. It began at Emanuel school in Wandsworth where, as part of our extensive and expensive school clothing, we needed three rugby shirts - strip these day - school, house and white.

There was a whole series of stepping stones for us, competitive school fifteens starting at the prep class level at seven and a half.

I remember well my first, and, as it turned out, my only rugby teacher, Mr Shaw. He was brilliant. He even told me I was a great tackler. The highlight of my short rugby career was  to be chosen for the Emanuel under thirteen side. The first match, away to Dulwich  College, travelling by school coach.

I remember it well. Wearing the school jersey for the first time. I played at outside half - ‘fly half’- and was enjoying myself.

I scored a try. Then, disaster. I damaged my ankle and had to go off.

That was the end of my school rugby. After leaving Emanuel when the school was evacuated at the start of the war to Hampshire and transferring twice in two years to Cardiff High School where I never made a school eleven - or even Robert’s - my house fifteen.

In my cut-short army career I played once for the Intelligence Corps depot team - no great0achievement as there were so few to choose from. Then I badly injured a leg in unnecessary battle training and was invalided out. At 21 years old, my playing days were over.

But I still love rugby, now watching on television but for some years, sometimes at Cardiff Arms Park, now the Principalityb stadium.

The highlight was, when working for the city council, I would attend our  pre match receptions on international days fo visiting officials, going on to the game in blthe best seats.

Even better, when I worked for the BBC there were lavish pre match receptions at the Llandaff  headquarters, meeting Welsh rugby heroes.

Last weekend I watched on television the latest Wales international match, lying on my bed. A thrilling game. And we won!

Rugby is flourishing again, adding to my pleasure and the delight of Wales.
























No comments:

Post a Comment