Sunday 20 February 2022

 February 20

Another milestone in my road to a normal life. Yesterday I made my first visit back to the Yacht Club for almost three years.

After a quick shopping trip up town I scootered along the almost deserted windy Esplanade, parked outside the front door and carefully made my way in, negotiated the lift and limped into the ‘main deck’ where I had a warm welcome from the steward who remembered me. And that pint! Memorable.

As I sat savouring it and the whole experience I thought of the happy times we had at the club over many years.

Rosemary and I used to go regularly for lunches, dinners, special evenings and family celebrations.

I gave an annual dinner talk when my book Don’t hold the front page’ was published. 

And we introduced our grandson Owen to the pleasure of the bar.

The sadness of that quiet hour was softened by my pleasure at my achievement and by the realisation  that I can still enjoy life and new experiences.

Back at the flat I celebrated with a special dinner, ribeye steak, and a glass of red wine. 

A lovely end to a special day.

No comments:

Post a Comment