Tuesday 29 September 2020

Coronavirus diary, Tuesday 29 September


Stiff upper lip: Churchill inspires Londoners in the Blitz, 1940

What on earth is happening to Britain?  Where is our self esteem, our dignity, our once famous stiff upper lip mentality?

Killed by coronavirus, by the look of it.

This morning's headlines tell it all. Nothing but woe. Breast beating and wailing. 

Top news of the day - the pandemic - global death toll reaches one million.

Agonising, says the World Health Organisation.

Not a word of comfort or encouragement. No, 'Come on, we will  beat  this'.

Just wallow in it. And our colourless, faint hearted political leaders issue more warnings, more instructions.

We have assumed an unhealthy mawkishness about death.

The BBC news prides itself today on marshalling a whole battery of family tributes to those who have died in the pandemic. 

For days we have been hearing tributes for the equally tragic victims of the Grenfell Tower fire disaster. 

Sad of course, Tragic for the families, but, come on.

Life goes on.

This is no false bravado on my part, having learned I have been tested positive and am locked in my room for two weeks. 

There is no use moaning about it.

We have  always had to take the rough with the smooth in life and mine has been remarkably smooth.

I  have no complaints. I am grateful that I have been so fortunate, and still am. 

I don't want sympathy and I am so glad that my family realise this and give me such loving, unfussy support.

Life will get better, for everyone.

Let's look forward to that instead of moaning, grumbling and finding blame. Get on with life.

No comments:

Post a Comment