Saturday 19 September 2020

Coronavirus diary, Saturday 19 September


It's autumn, the 'season of mists and mellow fruitfulness' - and party political conferences.

But this year coronavirus has saved us from this talk marathon.

For the dedicated followers it was unmissable, a highlight of the year with the chance to rub shoulders with or even meet their heroes.

I have never been one of them, and I have always ignored the boring, long winded reports on the media. 

With good reason. I have been seen how these jamborees at work and play - in the line of duty.

The first was way back in 1948, my first experience of front line politics.

Just out of the army and not fit enough to resume my reporting career I was for a year deputy public relations officer for the Wales Conservative and Unionist Party, my salary paid by a wealthy Cardiff businessman.

The 69th annual Conservative party conference was held in Llandudno with Winton Churchill the great attraction.

I prepared speech notes and briefings and joined the delegates for one day.

I found out why, apart from the rousing speeches and troop rallying cries, these getaways were popular -  partying and drinking.

A few months later I happily went back to reporting, covering local politics.

Many years later I twice returned to party conferences, again on business.


The venue was Blackpool, for years the mecca for labour supporters and short, just one day, lobbying.

The first was when Caerphilly council was campaigning for Caerphilly cheese to be made in our town - surprisingly, this was illegal in those days.

I joined the chairman and town clerk to make our pitch at a lunch we put on for Welsh MPs. 

The day ended at 'Welsh night', an uproarious time with Jack Price, the town clerk, and I joining in the hearty singing - but studiously keeping silent for 'Keep the red flag flying high'.

It was a pleasant day, successful too.

The government changed the rules and Caerphilly started making its world famous cheese at the newly established Castle Dairies.


Ten years later I was back in Blackpool for my third and last party conference, to lobby for the thriving Cardiff airport to be allowed to open a duty free shop,

We needed to persuade the government to relax the rules on international travellers numbers.

Another day trip, made easier as we flew from our airport. And another  success, announced a few weeks later by the Minister for Aviation.

For me, that was the end of party conferences.

If there is anything positive about coronavirus, it is in saving me from even having to read about them.

No comments:

Post a Comment