Sunday 20 September 2020

Coronavdiary, Sunday 20 September


A serious turn. Coronavirus is surging back in Britain and many countries, with infections matching those of the early days.

After expressing hope that we would escape a second wave, the prime minister admits it is upon us.

Restrictions have been reimposed on 13 million people, mainly in the north of England and the numbers of cases is rising in Wales and Scotland.

Hospitals are admitting more patients and plans are being made to reopen emergency units.

But it is not all negative. There are fewer deaths and schools are staying open although some have been affected.

Two thirds of the employees are back at work and the majority of people are enjoying a more normal  life.

My normal is one that I would never in the world imagined, carefully and rigorously controlled. Freedom curtailed. Temperatures checked twice daily, regular testing, the carers and staff kitted out with face masks and shields

No venturing out into the now busy streets, no trips in the Sunrise coach, visiting strictly limited - one person for one hour, booked in advance. Welcome, but even chatting is difficult, two metres apart with our visitors muffled.

We have an activity programme although we miss the visiting entertainers.

Most of my day  - often up to 12 hours - is spent in my flat, very similar to my last months in Windsor Court, Penarth (I miss the sea view) so it is no hardship. I have plenty to do and time to enjoy myself.

But I hope my new, normal life will not go on indefinitely and I am sure that all those who have escaped into a real, near normal world will hope that there is no second national lock down.   








No comments:

Post a Comment