Tuesday 14 April 2020

Coronavirus diary, Tuesday 14 April


Back to work after the bank holiday? Not this year. With most of the country in lockdown it was certainly no holiday for the millions still stuck at home with just brief outings for exercise, to collect medicine or do basic shopping. There was no respite for the 'essential workers' struggling bravely and selflessly to save lives and keep Britain ticking over, like the carers and staff here at Sunrise. For most of my working life, selfishly perhaps, I enjoyed going back to work after bank holidays, even after happy times with my family. I liked my work and was fortunate in having an interesting if at times hectic life in journalism and public relations for over 50 years. No day was the same. 

How different today for all of us, and we do not know how long it will last. Despite a fall for the second day in the number of deaths, restrictions will not be lifted, even partially, for three more weeks. The government, with the epidemic peak not yet reached, do not want to take the risk. It looks as if we may be advised soon to wear face masks like other countries. If so, I hope we make sure sufficient supplies are available and distributed better than with PPE - personal protective equipment. 


Captain Scott and Terra Nova leave Cardiff for the South Pole, 1910
Another sunny day and another chance to get in to the Sunrise gardens, supervised by our carers. I miss my scooter trips, especially to Roath Park, a few minutes' drive away which I have loved since I was a child. The park is one of Cardiff's biggest attractions, and was opened in 1894 on land donated by the Marquis of Bute in 1887. The promenade overlooks the 30 acre man-made lake. A lighthouse commemorates Captain Scott, who sailed from Cardiff in 1910 on his ill-fated expedition to the South Pole. The lighthouse contains a model of his Terra Nova ship. 


Granddaughters Ria and Siân, Roath Park, 1980s
I remember celebrating the end of term at Cardiff High School with a swim in the now long-closed lido on the lakeside near the promenade. Swimming was banned due to polluted water from the Nant Fawr stream flowing through it. My children and grandchildren loved the playground, and the ice cream kiosk! One of my first outings when we get the all clear' will be to go there with my great-granddaughters and again hear the playground echoing with children's shrieks and laughter. 



Robert at Roath Park, September 2019

The plaque on the Scott memorial lighthouse, 1994

No comments:

Post a Comment