Thursday 2 April 2020

Coronavirus diary, Friday 20 March

Coronavirus diary, Friday 20 March


My first day confined to 'home' and it's sunny - at last! No need to charge my scooter as I won't be ransacking the shops like most people seem to be doing. Long queues and empty shelves. Panic. Stupidity. Werner emails that it is not happening in Germany. They know better. 

I have enough to continue my morning and evening meals in my room for a week or two, and John, in charge of catering, says he will give me what I need to carry on. I have been told today that I have been losing weight so I must get my meals right. Both Werner in Germany, and Doreen, emailing from Connecticut, tell me how they are coping under similar conditions and restrictions as us. Werner's family are having the most difficulty as some of them are overseas, trying to get home, from Ghana, the Netherlands and, in the case of Lino who came to Sunrise a few months ago, the UK. Doreen is home after spending some time in Florida. 

The latest developments just announced here by the prime minister are draconian, the most drastic ever. The UK is almost shutting down with pubs, clubs, theatres and cinemas - in fact everywhere that we normally can get together - ordered to close indefinitely. All schools are closed from today except those needed to care for children with special needs or with parents in essential jobs. My grandson Owen's school, Merchant Taylor's, has introduced a specially designed daily programme keeping teaching as near normal as possible, overseen by his tutor. At PayPal, my son Robert is on the committee overseeing action to be taken in scores of countries where PayPal has staff. 


Chancellor Rishi Sunak
The UK chancellor today announced another historic decision. To encourage employers to keep on workers, it will meet 80 per cent of the cost of their wages, up to £2,500 a month. How this unique manoeuvre will be organised at such notice is not clear. If it doesn't work immediately thousands of companies of all sizes may go bust.  

No comments:

Post a Comment