Thursday 23 April 2020

Coronavirus diary, Thursday 23 April


Life under lockdown is never boring at Sunrise.



Years ago I would never have thought of playing scrabble midmorning. I did not even know the game and had much better things to do. Now it is one of my favourite pastimes in the Sunrise entertainment programme. I am still a novice but so are the other players. It's competitive but fun and I am improving. I got a six letter word this week.There is something for everyone, keeping us occupied and entertained and our bodies and minds working, if we want to.


Salute the Soldier
We can while away the hours with parlour games - skittles, quizzes, singalongs, flower arranging, keep fit classes and Bingo, the most popular game. Mine, too, as I expect to win every time. I have already had three prizes. On the more serious side we discuss the news and enjoy poetry reading. I have started writing my odes again one of which, Salute the Soldier, has been sent as a congratulations card to Captain Tom Moore for raising the many millions of pounds for the NHS. 



Simple services led by one of our carers have replaced the regular ones by visiting ministers. We miss the outings in the Sunrise coach to the seaside coffee coffee mornings and visits to farm shops and supermarkets but we can still go out into the extensive gardens here, supervised by our carers. 

I have more time than ever, reading, listening to my music collection and writing. I am learning new skills, making new friends and am still able to keep in touch, if not meet family and friends. As a former journalist I still read The Times with its excellent columnists and writers but have less time for the tabloids and broadcast news with their coverage of bad, worrying news. I am happy and grateful to have so much to enjoy, far more than most who are on the lockdown.


No comments:

Post a Comment