Sunday 19 April 2020

Coronavirus diary, Sunday 19 April

Thursday night is clapping night...
Friday night is music night, the popular BBC radio programme, has a contemporary counterpart: Thursday night is clapping night. Millions take part, in the streets, from windows, even those still working. 

It started as a tribute to the NHS staff who, to use the overworked idiom, are on the front line of the war against coronavirus. Now the tribute is being extended to people in other jobs who are also playing their part. But do we need this weekly public show? I may be an exception but I don't think so. From the first I thought it was more a public relations exercise, a gimmick, rather than a worthy expression of praise and gratitude for the courage and skill of those risking their lives to save ours. I don't need to show my feelings by clapping my hands once a week. I am aware every day of the sacrifice doctors, nurses and carers and their families are making. Instead of clapping, badges or even medals I hope in the difficult months and years ahead we will remember in more practical ways how we got through this nightmare.


No comments:

Post a Comment