Sunday 22 January 2023

January 23

Non stop hospital 
One  of the most unshakeable hospital habits is the typical,  continuous work programme, Day and night the nursing staff for the patients. 
After all the months I cannot get used to it. 
My day starts at 6 am, perhaps a little earlier. My room light is switched on and two nurses give me my first check suddenly awakening me, moving me back and for in the bed, with me hanging on to the bed safety rails
It only takes a few minutes but it’s a big upheaval and off they go.
Just as I lapse into sleep another nurse comes to test  my blood sugar and then in comes nurse with the blood pressure contraption. 
Silence but only short lived.. It is breakfast, just in time  for the first dose of tablets health drinks and injections but at last quietness.
Just as I snuggle down its time fir my 'bed bath’ - more manhandling and discomfort but it is good "to settle down into a freshly made bed, tingling from the rough towelling.Then it’s orders for the the day’s meals and I start my working day getting up to date with my emails and reading the Times,
Lunch served with more medication
and my afternoon until tea is spent watching news and a film or reading my kindle - a welcome distraction and at 9pm I ."start an hour  of music  interrupted by nurses preparing me for sleep
It comes, only for another round of injections and painkillers, bed tidying and sleep, but near midnight comes the last check up and I can sink into sleep, 
worn out after my long, 18 hour constantly interrupted day.
Apart from the patients I don’t  see how the nonstop  staff can manage to keep it up and keep smiling. 
One nurse tells me she walks or runs the corridors for over three miles a day.

No wonder I cannot wait to enjoy the luxury and peace.of my bed at home.

No comments:

Post a Comment