Friday 20 January 2023

January 20

 Small world

One of the many disadvantages of being so long in a hospital bed is how your world has shrunk, physically and mentally which has become more pronounced every week over the past seven months.

My life is a travesty compared with when I was fit and free.

 Frustrating, too. And not just the bed. My room can be very claustrophobic no matter how much I try to adapt.

Defining the inconvenience and awkwardness, my life is dominated by the bed, just over six feet long and four feet wide with safety rails either side. If I want anothing beyond my reach I only have  small trolley that gets complicated when full with hospital and personal paraphonalia. If I can’t read reach something  I need to call the staff with my emergency button, which I am loathe to do, especially at night. It has been made worse lately by fewer staff, and strike days.

The nurses and their assistants are very thoughtful and willing to help so I try to remember all the help I need so cut my requests as far as possible.

Having visitors is my window an the world but again the space for them is very limited - just one chair if available.

The real life save is this iPad which keeps me in touch with news and entertainment and, more important with family and friends. So easy and instant.

Without it life would be much harder. Almost like a prison cell, and I am still grudgingly accepting it, but longing for home freedom










And d


No comments:

Post a Comment