Saturday 23 October 2021

Words

English, written and spoken, is a magnificent language. A priceless treasure chest of jewels gleaned over thousands of years from many lands, peoples and tongues.

I love words and welcome the constant revisions and addition to this word store.

I have written uncounted millions of words in a basic, and, I hope, acceptable style, trying to eschew slang and the latest fads.

English is a living, vibrant language, welcoming and embracing new ideas, like the nation’s propensity to accept people of different origins, ethics and religions.

Most of the newcomers are welcome  but there are some I am pleased that prove to be fly-by-nights, here-tonight-gone-tomorrow,

And my hate list is growing steadily.

I can think of many in the present galaxy that deserve to plummet ignominiously.

In speech I shudder at like, awesome - a favourite of of young people - and the now inevitable addition to interviews, surreal.

Another abomination, push back (what’s wrong with delay?)

I have a leaning towards to pause which is more subtle than to delay.

As for government ministers’ incessant embellishing of their plans and achievements, amazing and incredible, the sooner they fall to earth the better.

But, am I being too pedantic, or to use a colourful, apt phrase, nit picking?

No comments:

Post a Comment