Tuesday 12 October 2021

Making up for lost time

One of the worst aspects of the pandemic for old people has been missing our families. Especially our grandchildren and, for me, my great grandchildren.

As children do, they have grown amazingly fast. One of the joys in life is to watch and be part of that. But the pandemic put a stop to it and even now visits are possible, they are too few and far between

My experience is typical, and I have been unusually fortunate in being able to keep in touch with my growing family.

Owen sailing

Take my youngest grandson, Owen, 13. As well as physically he has developed in many ways. His life is so different now and he is obviously enjoying it;  his new school and his broadening of interests, including music, drama, writing and now adventurous sports including the latest, sailing. He is far bolder than I ever was.

I have kept in touch regularly with all of them, but there has been a gap, a void. I have missed that growing up process.

I have only seen Owen two or three times in the past 18 months - almost two lost years of getting to know him and sharing his enjoyment of life.

The same applies to my great grandchildren, Mylo, Rosa and Claudia.

That lost time cannot be made up but, whatever time I have, I intend to keep in closer touch with them and in some way make up for the lost two years.

No comments:

Post a Comment