Friday 15 October 2021

Moving on


The deed is done. I now have a new home in Penarth, 10 Bridgeman Court, Bridgeman Road, one hundred yards from Windsor Court.

A true homecoming.

As with my move to Sunrise over two years ago, I am sure I have made the right decision.

No one can be certain about the future, more difficult than ever these days, but I am satisfied, whatever happens.

Moving into a new home can be a daunting but exciting business. This will be my sixth in seventy years.

The first, with Rosemary and four year old Beverley and me was the best. 

We used to drive there every week to see it being built, 

Our move on Derby day in 1956 was exciting and the nine years we spent there were among the happiest of our life.

The next two moves were not so trouble free. The day we went to London, to Ashley Drive, Whitton was a miserable, snowing and bitterly cold.

Not easy, especially for Rosemary. Beverley and two-year old Robert. The return to Wales six years later was also fraught with difficulty.

The sale of our Ashley Drive house had stalled at the last minute, the buyer pulling out on contract signing day.

Even worse, I was due to leave in a matter of days, away for three months in Japan and the USA.

But we got through that, thanks to Rosemary’s determination and seventeen-year-old  Beverley driving her mother and Robert to Cardiff.

We were all thrilled to be back in Wales, at Winnipeg Drive, that was to be our home for almost thirty years.

The next move, our last to a new home, was to a seafront maisonette in Windsor  Court, Penarth, where we enjoyed almost twenty years before Rosemary died.

Than came my choice of Sunrise Cardiff  care  home where Rosemary and I had intended to be together.

It was one of my best decisions, despite the unique circumstances and (as it turned out within months) danger from coronavirus 

I could not have been more contented and well cared for, but  it is time to me to move out and on. 

I miss Penarth and the sea, and am looking forward to a new beginning, a new life, at 95.

I know I can manage, even now, to look after myself, with some help at home, and cannot wait to open the door at my own home.

This last homecoming is not an adventure but it gives me great satisfaction.

Whatever the future holds, I am confident it is the right move.

No comments:

Post a Comment