Tuesday 20 April 2021

Calling foul on football's breakaway


How strange is 'news'. After days of blanket coverage of death and mourning, the emphasis has switched to football. Even the Prime Minister has joined in, writing in The Sun newspaper today how he hopes to scupper the decision of six English premier league clubs to join an elite new European super league. 

He is taking the side of the soccer fans rather than big business. Strange, if you think about it. Football is an international business and I assume he would have taken the free market approach. i do not know if Mr Johnson supports Arsenal or any other team. He does not strike me as the sporting type - at least, not soccer - so I have a suspicion that next month's election might have something to do with it.

The Duke of Cambridge is also calling 'foul' at the possble soccer revolution, but at least he is the president of the Football Association. 

I have followed soccer all my life and I regret how it has become big business, but I have no idea if the new plan will harm or revitalise the sport. After all, it is dominated by a handful of clubs that have the resources to buy success. Meanwhile, the lower league clubs like Newport County are always struggling to keep going.

Bill Shankly, the legendary manager of Liverpool, said, football was more important than life or death. 

One consolation - at last we have a different topic to argue, and shout about.

2 comments:

  1. I have to look for goals with essential information on given point and offer them to instructor our inclination and the article.
    foul

    ReplyDelete
  2. Excellent article. Very interesting to read. I really love to read such a nice article. Thanks! keep rocking. fifa world cup 2022 live stream usa

    ReplyDelete