Thursday 16 June 2022

June 16

 Getting on with life

Being disabled has many disadvantages, many challenges, as I have found over the past ten years.

As have explained, one of mine is walking which I manage, if slowly, with my sticks, walking aid and scooter.

I am fortunate in having Melissa, my home help. I can cope with day-to-day tasks and twice weekly she helps keep the flat in good order carrying out jobs that I cannot manage, including taking rubbish to the flat’s recycling store which has steps, doing my laundry and generally keeping everything spick and span. 

It is often the simplest jobs that are the hardest. If you you are old and your hearing is not good phoning it can be a headache now that the human touch has gone, replaced by the automatic  response with its formidable list of options, often presented unclearly and confusingly. Even local shops are using this wretched system

I have to take my time in getting on with day-by-day life, a slow process in many ways, with dressing a problem due to thoughtlessness of disabled people’s needs.

Simple jobs can mean big frustration; for example, buttons on clothing are a real handicap, getting smaller and harder; this morning I took fifteen minutes putting my my shirt on.

More worrying is taking medication. I have difficulty in prising open tightly packed tablets and, worse, opening my insulin tubes. Today I had to ask one of my neighbours to do it for me.

My successes in looking after myself include my kitchen equipment. particularly my new chair on wheels. I can now safely and smoothly move around my kitchen, cooking, which I enjoy, and washing up  keeping everything clean and tidy.

I knew there would be challenges when I decided to go it alone but I am happy in my new home, number 10 Bridgeman Court, very well equipped to deal with my poor mobility and I am thoroughly enjoying my new, wider world.








but most of my problems, and often, frustration, is caused by simple ta



No comments:

Post a Comment