Friday 3 June 2022

June 3


Unique celebration

It’s the celebration of the century. The Queen’s platinum jubilee.Truly historic. 

In am watching this unique occasion on television; the other royal occasions, from the death of King George V in 1936 were plated out on radio.

I have never been one for standing, flag waving, watching processions, but I enjoy and appreciate the spectacle and the obvious delight of millions of the Queen’s subjects - what an old fashioned word.

There was one exception - as a schoolboy I watched with my school friends the young queen’s visit to Wandsworth in 1937.

Another memorable day was the Queen’s silver jubilee but this time it was a working day for me. As a South Wales Argus reporter I was out and about in the Rhymney Valley interviewing  revellers and watching street tea parties. I think we even had a union flag hanging from my office/home in Caerphilly high street. 

I had thought of scootering along to the cliff top in Penarth last night to watch the burning symbol from the newly restored beacon - one of hundreds through the country but decided I have reached my take-it-easy age.

Tomorrow I will be at tthe garden at Bridgeman Courtb with all our residents for afternoon coffee and cakes.

I have had a timely message from my long term friend Werner Bleyhl from Esslingen saying how he and his family are enjoying our royal celebration.

 Our queen, he says, is ‘a charming who nobody could say anything negative about’.

Werner reminds me of our royal family’s German connection; her grandmother Queen Mary was the Duchess of Teck which, he says is a hill he can see from his hillside home in Esslingen.









the celebration 






No comments:

Post a Comment