Tuesday 26 January 2021

Coronavirus diary, Tuesday 26 January 2021


Yesterday brought home to me the togetherness of residents and all those who look after us in Sunrise.

I was sitting in the bistro when carers and residents gathered in the foyer, sitting or standing in line. They were waiting to say farewell to Joyce, who died earlier in the day - not of the virus. Many were in tears.

Joyce and George


Joyce, a former teacher, and George, her husband, have lived here for five years. She took part in the activities and games and enjoyed reciting at our poetry group. 

I took photographs of them a few weeks ago at a party celebrating their wedding anniversary

In the 18 months I have lived here I had formed the impression that many of the residents, comfortable and looked after, did not, like me, seemed to want, or to need, a social life; that they were happy in their own world, their more private, sheltered life, content to dwell on a lifetime of memories.

But I think I was wrong, that they appreciate the Sunrise family spirit and the constant attentiveness and kindness of the men and women, many years younger, who are devoted to our care.

Joining them in that simple gesture I was moved by the warmth of the farewell to Joyce as she left her home, our home.

No comments:

Post a Comment