Saturday 16 January 2021

Coronavirus diary, Saturday 16 January 2021


Some of Bob's carers - and friends


In the 18 months I have lived in Sunrise the more I have come to appreciate the carers looking after me. From my first day I recognised their commitment and efficiency and, since then, their warmth and friendship.

Caring is a wonderful, worthwhile occupation but it has its drawbacks. It is intensive, stressful and poorly paid. It calls for a combination of compassion, understanding and patience to look after elderly, often lonely people. Not easy when some may be unresponsive and apparently ungrateful.

Sunrise has the ability and resources to select and train women and men who have the capability and character to make a strong team.

I have come to see them as friends, always helpful, attentive and interested in my welfare.

These are difficult times for all of us, but even more so for carers. Ours come from different backgrounds and countries - with family origins in Britain, Europe, the Middle East and Africa - and they make a formidable team.

Many of them plan a career in nursing or other professions, studying while working, and they have all told me they realise the importance of their job.

They have accepted the danger to themselves and their families, and some have suffered from coronavirus. They have been saddened by losing two of their oldest residents. 

Apart from looking after us day and night they run and take part in a varied activity programme, from games to keep-fit, from poetry, art and flower arranging classes to bingo sessions.

Life at Sunrise is stimulating, never dull.

I consider myself fortunate. My life is happy, fulfilled and much richer and interesting than if I had continued to live on my own.

My hope is that soon it will be even happier, easier and safer for us residents and our carers.

No comments:

Post a Comment