Thursday 21 January 2021

Coronavirus diary, Thursday 21 January 2021


It was inevitable, I suppose. After the much heralded successful sprint start to England’s marathon vaccination programme - four million -  the difficulties are emerging, with the inevitable criticism following.

We have already had the worn-out cliche, ‘post code lottery’ complaint that some areas are lagging behind the luckier ones. Another from GPs, frustrated having to cancel appointments, often at the last moment as they had not received supplies.

Then there are the differences between the performance so far of Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland.

More serious is the doubt about the lengthening of the time between two doses from three to twelve weeks and the lack of research to justify it.

The news of a temporary shortage of vaccines is also a concern.The producers say it is due due to the upgrading of their production plant in Belgium. 

No fault of the government, but they should by now have learned not to blow their own trumpet and to just get on with the job.

Today’s further rise in the number deaths, over 1,800, up on yesterday’s and a new record, emphasises the importance of getting and keeping the vaccination programme on track.

I was heartened yesterday by the inauguration of President Biden. 

Dragged down by even greater problems than those facing Britain, the departure of the incompetent and dangerous Donald Trump heralds a new era for the USA.

Is Mr Biden, at 78, too old for the daunting, monumental task? I don’t think so. He is 16 years younger than I am,

And I don’t feel old. Not most of the time. Creaking a bit but my mind is still active  and I am interested and enjoy life

Bob with his mother at her 100th birthday party


My mother was enjoying hers at 102, until the last few weeks, and she never considered herself old or decrepit.

I remember my brother, sister and I laughing when she would describe someone years younger as a ‘lovely old dear’.

That’s  life as I see it.

No comments:

Post a Comment