Monday 25 January 2021

Coronavirus diary, Monday 25 January 2021


Was it almost a year ago that Matt Hancock warned us there would be no luxury overseas trips that summer? If so, we could not have imagined it would be the same this year.

It seems highly likely, with Britain and dozens of countries retaining tight restrictions and shutting out foreign visitors.

The latest government move here is to make it compulsory for people arriving in Britain to spend 14 days in quarantine in a government run hotel, at their own expense.

France has announced that their ski season is a write off.

While it is desperate situation for the aviation and travel industry it is a different picture for our home holiday businesses. From bust to boom. The accent is on staycation - we used to call it holidays at home - which I prefer. 

Ria, my grand daughter, has had a flight to Saville booked for August cancelled and the family are going camping in Devon instead.

Bookings are flooding in and favourite resorts are heading for a bumper season, making up for some of the billions lost by the world travel ban.

Even if some countries change their rules, people are likely to be deterred from long distance flights, feeling safer in Britain which has so much to offer.

As for me, even after my vaccination I have no idea if I can be off on holiday. I still have not lost hope in my deferred cruise and was encouraged to receive a new brochure, but not surprised that cruises booked for May have already been cancelled.

Roath Park lake and Captain Scott memorial

My hope is that at least I will be able to get my scooter out again and ride down to Roath Park for a breath of fresh air, and an ice cream.

No comments:

Post a Comment