Wednesday 8 July 2020

Coronavirus diary, Wednesday 8 July



Wales is on the move again. Life has become freer and more interesting.

The lifting of the five-mile travel limit means we can go anywhere - even across the border to England. Just in time for Robert's visit on Saturday, my first visitor for nearly four months.

I won't be going anywhere for some time as we old people have to be looked after carefully but I am managing very well here.


Mark Drakeford. Photo: Welsh Government
News of the relaxation of some more restrictions was announced by First Minister Mark Drakeford who, I now realise, has struck the right note with his timing.

He is no orator but much more believable than our flamboyant prime minister who cannot manage to keep his foot out of his mouth. 

It is family time again in Wales.

These magic moments will return...
I loved seeing grandparents hugging their grandchildren for the first time for months. I hope it will not be long before my great-grand daughters Rosa and Claudia are running, laughing, around Sunrise, 'riding' my scooter in my living room. I miss them as I do all my family and friends.

Under the new rules, two households can meet, and stay overnight. How our lives have changed.

Mr Drakeford has succeeded in getting his plan across because he has kept it simple. Wales has responded to, and respected, the stringent lockdown rules better generally then England, as have Scotland and Northern Ireland.

Mr Drakeford explains that, although the devolved countries have taken a slightly different approach and at a different pace, 'We're all moving in the same direction'.

Very diplomatic.

No comments:

Post a Comment