Sunday 5 July 2020

Coronavirus diary, Sunday 5 July



Just a few days ago I described how I thought people would be put off going down to the pub by the restrictions and inconvenience and that I thought they might not bother. I have  changed my mind.

Not because yesterday's first open day, in England, went well but because, on reflection, I think we have missed it more than we thought.

And it applies to many other interests and happy, regular experiences in our lives - the cinema, concerts, shows, sporting events and our other special interests.

Old habits die hard, familiarity breeds content.

At least it has with me, going back throughout my lifetime. 
The cinema, for instance. 
Bob, Bert and Dorothy, late 1920s

I was four when my brother Bert and sister Dorothy first took me to the Saturday morning children's show in West HamMum was no doubt pleased to see us go. and 'going to the pictures'  became part of my life.

Who can forget their first cinema date. Mine, with Rosemary, saw me in generous mood; I even bought her a box of chocolates. 

Not all the experiences were happy. 

In 1941, at the height of the London bombing, Dorothy and I were in the cinema in Wandsworth running the half mile home.

I was still enjoying films at the salubrious multiplex in Cardiff Bay a few years ago. And if I were mobile again I would certainly be back at the Millennium Centre for the BBC National Orchestra of Wales concerts.

I know the country will be poorer for years and life won't be the same, especially for the massive number likely to be out of work, but if the Prime Minister gets his way it will not all be austerity. 

Those months of confinement and worry will become part of our life experience and we will be getting out and about again, doing what we want, when we want.


No comments:

Post a Comment