Tuesday 7 July 2020

Coronavirus diary, Tuesday 7 July

Sunrise's Celebrate Care Homes campaign

Sunrise is launching a Celebrate Care Homes campaign and I have been asked to say why I think it is important. 


This is my response:

The government has pledged to completely overhaul and update Britain's social services system. Whatever shape that takes, care homes will be a vital part.


No-one will ever forget the devotion of carers and the personal sacrifices they made in serving the residents and their families. We expect their magnificent work to be b
etter supported and funded by government, which too often has placed social care in the 'too difficult' tray. 

The darkest days may be coming to an end; care homes are preparing to meet the new challenges ahead. The Sunrise campaign is not only a recognition of the way they stood up to the horrendous problems created by the coronavirus pandemic but a way to confirm the confidence and trust of the public. 


There is no substitute for a happy, settled family life in your own home but, when the time comes, care homes are an obvious choice.


Old people like me - I am 93 - should be looked after in our own home as long as possible, but when the time came for me I found it perfect. It was one of  the best decisions I have ever made.


Since the day I came to Sunrise almost a year ago I could not have been looked after, better cared for.


The carers and staff have all been efficient, endlessly cheerful, despite their personal worries of lockdown and the obvious danger to their health. They are our friends, and they have made my new home-from-home a pleasure and certainly a relief to my family.

That is why the Celebrate Care Homes campaign is so important.


It is now up to the government to keep its promises - unforgivably neglected by previous governments over the years - and make Britain's social services worthy of the country.

And to make being cared for in well equipped, well run care homes affordable for everyone who needs them.

No comments:

Post a Comment