Sunday 12 July 2020

Coronavirus diary, Sunday 12 July




Yesterday was a special, memorable  day. My first visitor after four months - Robert.

He spent the day, five hours of driving, to have just an hour with me.

It was more than a happy reunion after those unreal months: proof that brighter days lie ahead. It was far from normal. We old people are being carefully looked after - guarded - and that made the difference.

It was four months since Prime Minister Johnson had pulled up the drawbridges throughout the country - of castles, mansions and more modest dwellings. 

The aim, to save us from the unseen, deadly enemy - coronavirus.

So, 122 days after my last visitor - my daughter-in-law Karen -  came to Sunrise, Robert was the first one back.
It was so different this time. He was not allowed into the 'fortress'.

I had been looking forward for so long to today and was standing by the window watching for him to arrive, but I had to wait. 

He first had to be 'made safe' by being 'kitted out' with apron , gloves and face mask by a carer. Then he was taken to the gazebo set up in front of the building.

Inside were two seats, the regulation two metres apart. I was taken out to join him. No hug or handshake allowed. After a wave and a laugh we lost  no time in getting down to chat, making up for lost time.

We did not dwell on those unreal, unhappy months, but about the brighter future, holidays and normal visits to Sunrise with, perhaps lunches out.



The unusual visit ended with us being filmed and briefly interviewed  as part of a planned ITV Good Morning Britain broadcast on Monday morning for which my grand-daughter Ria had been invited to Sunrise.

So, another exciting day ahead.

After Robert had left for home I looked back on our family and the his influence on my life. After years of bringing up our children, when we reach old age, it is they who become the mentors.

I had the proof when Robert delivered my new iPad which he had set up for me.

Knowing my fallibility on dates and anything digital he left me a meticulously detailed but simple list of instructions for my new iPad on laminated card. 

The end of a very special, memorable day.

No comments:

Post a Comment