Saturday 2 May 2020

Coronavirus diary, Saturday 2 May


Comprehensive plan

So Prime Minister Johnson is going to reveal his comprehensive plan to lead us into the sunlight from the black tunnel or across the desert to the verdant oasis or wherever the latest idiom might be. I think he knows what his advisers think, but, a comprehensive plan? I have my doubts. 
Don't tell them, Monty....
Would General Montgomery have revealed to the media and the public his battle plan for Alamein a week in advance, his strategy for the campaign and tactics for the battle? 

Our Health Minister, General Matt Hancock, promised 100,000 tests a day. Would Beaverbrook, the wartime  minister for aircraft production, have revealed that we were building 1,000 Spitfires and Hurricanes a month for the Battle of Britain? What do you think? I am sceptical. There are too many ifs and buts. We don't know the unknowns, as they say these days. And round figures, those thousands? - sounds suspicious, 
too easy to conjure up.


If pigs could fly...
Even the Times has its doubts. While Its main leader column (NB: paywall) hails General Hancock's astonishing achievement its cartoonist shares my doubts over the figures, illustrating it with flying pigs. 

Let us take some comfort, though. Promises can be well intentioned and provide relief and hope in dark days but I would prefer to wait a little longer and see real action and, perhaps, an indication of victory in this, our war against Covid-9.

I am back to my blog after swift action by Sunrise. Carers called the doctor and after one dose of some magic pills I am ambidextrous again and at my 'typewriter'.

No comments:

Post a Comment