Monday 25 May 2020

Coronavirus diary, Monday 25 May



Going into a care home after ninety two years of living first with my parents and then my own family was a momentous decision, taken when there was no other option.That was so, first with Rosemary and me when, after 66 years of marriage, we realised we could no longer carry on living in our flat in Penarth. Rosemary was in poor health with failing eyesight and we were shocked by the death of Beverley, our daughter. Even with carers I could not manage to look after her and run the home.

Our first experience of nursing home life was a two month stay at the BUPA in Cardiff, a second choice after Sunrise which we had inspected and hoped to move into but which was full.

After two months we decided we did not want to stay there for the rest of our lives. The  home was comfortable, the staff excellent, but we missed Penarth and returned home.Tragically, just a few weeks later, Rosemary fell in our bathroom, injuring her ribs and she died ten days later in hospital. I tried to carry on but decided to give up.

I booked a place at Sunrise three months in advance to organise the move and sell the flat. I chose a flat large enough to bring all the furniture and pictures from Penarth. When I arrived, after three weeks in hospital suffering from a viral infection, I was ill and weak. Since then my health has improved and I feel fitter and more content than for years, thanks to marvellous carers and staff.

I am mentally active and positive, looking forward each day.
The coronavirus pandemic has changed the day-to-day life as with everyone and I miss visits from family and friends but realise how much better off I am here than being in lockdown in Penarth.

With my reading, listening to music and writing -
my diary is intended for the family as an historical personal record of these incredible days. I am especially fortunate to be sociable. Here I can enjoy privacy and company. Some residents are not the most communicative or lively company.  Some have memory problems but others seem to lack the energy or will to make the most of their life, even if it is more limited.

Women seem to be the more adaptable, taking part in events and entertainment but the men, far fewer, generally do not want to keep up their interests, take up new ones, or even talk to each other.

I find that sad. But it is their choice. I am perfectly happy with Sunrise, my home from home, and realise how fortunate we all are to be looked after so well by the carers who have become my friends. I love hearing, 'Good Morning, Hi Bob' and 'Goodnight'. It makes my days. 



No comments:

Post a Comment