Monday 10 October 2022

Octobe

Good morning!

Being in bed in hospital sounds boring. And when you are feeling not quite up to the mark it can be.

But there are positives and after four months my life is far from dull. No more so this morning when I was prepared for the day.

It was just before six when two nurses roused me - the first in the ward - from pleasant sleep, made my bed , gave me my first medications of the day. A pause, then the vigorous bed wash followed by breakfast - cornflakes. Blood pressure  and blood sugar tests and all done by 8.20. A record. A whole new day ahead.

I am now sitting up watching the nurses at work with the other patients  Perpetual motion. I don’t know how they do It. Despite the shortage of staff and the relentless pressure they still have the patience to come at the press of a button to meet my needs, even to helping get my iPad and radio working or picking up items I have dropped from my crowded bedside trolley/table.

After four months the days slide by and at last  there is a real prospect of my going home. A plan is shaping, a programme for home care being arranged.

Still no date although it will probably be a few weeks yet depending on my being able to get myself up and walking.

I am now managing my first steps, trying to extend  that by a few yards each day. My first aim, to get out of the  ward door and into the corridor then along to the bathroom. Luxury.

I have tried to be patient from the first days in Vigo hospital , now, mercifully, a distant memory, and I will remain so until the day finally comes when I go home and slowly restart my normal life.

The end of the tunnel.



 







No comments:

Post a Comment