Monday 9 May 2022

Historic


June 2022. An historical month and year. The platinum anniversary of the queen’s reign that began dramatically with the sudden death death of her father, King George V1 in 1952.

I remember it well, and many royal events, going back to the solemn radio announcement of the death of King George V and  in the 86 years since, those that have shaped her.

I recall as a schoolboy standing in the crowds opposite Wandsworth county hall for what I think must have been a visit by the queen’s mother Queen Elizabeth soon after the abdication of uncrowned Edward VIII.

We waved the mini flags and ‘goody bags’, gifts, I presume, from Wandsworth council.

I have seen the queen many times, first when I was a reporter covering her visits to Wales. Always at the rear of the press motorcade, when she stopped for an engagement I had to race up and report it.

When we were in our flat in Caerphilly Rosemary set  up a camera in our window overlooking the main Street to get an exclusive picture for the South Wales Argus as the queen drove past.

She missed it. 

Later, when I was city and county public relations officer I was at royal lunches in the city hall .

I have even provided briefing notes for her visits.

And, a unique experience, I went down a coal mine with her in the Rhymney Valley, following her as she stopped to talk to colliers and pat pit ponies.

My last royal  experience was an evening at Buckingham palace seven years ago, celebrating the fiftieth anniversary of the Winston Churchill Memorial Trust of which I am now the oldest member in Wales, and was introduced to her and the Duke of Edinburgh.

But that’s enough name dropping!

As almost the same age as Her Majesty, I had hoped I might get an invitation to the celebrations in London. I am still waiting.


 



 






I went down a coal mine in the Rhymney Valley with her.

Two of the most exciting royal events were the gardena



No comments:

Post a Comment