Monday 2 May 2022

May 1

 May Day

May Day May Day

Not a celebration but a danger signal, a cry for help. That is how not just Britain but much of world has reacted, and with good reason. 

My memories of May Day are almost all benevolent. When I was a young reporter in the Rhymney Valley a regular May Day story I sold to the national papers was the inevitable annual Bedwas and Machen council’s busmen’s strike.

Today’s media stories are much more significant - war, economic problems, parliamentary upheaval, and the lingering effects of covid.

This uncertainty adds to the interest in the local government elections on Thursday.As usual, fascinated by it, I shall stay awake watching the story unfold. 

For many years I was in th thick of it, as a reporter and then local government officer. 

I have watched the fervour and excitement, the elation of the winners and dejection of the losers.

I have seen the politics of councils change overnight - one year in London most of the seats on Hounslow council were upturned.

I hope, but do not expect to see a much needed increase in people voting. Our record is poor. The average is under 40%. Compare this with 80% in Tokyo.

The highest is Australia, at over 90 %. Not surprisingly as voting is compulsory.










No comments:

Post a Comment