Tuesday 24 May 2022

May 24

Surprising Penarth

Penarth surprises me.  Having known it for eighty years and lived here for almost thirty years it continually surprises me. It did so today, thanks to my scooter. Unable to explore by foot I am finding remarkable changes that have made it more attractive and interesting to residents and visitors.

I now regularly enjoy a morning drive through Penarth Marina to shop at the Tesco hypermarket. It takes about twenty minutes, driving on the road.

Today, a few hundred yards into my drive home I ventured onto the steep winding path leading up from the road. Would I manage it safely?

It turned out an easy, exciting diversion; the best ride I have had in town, wide, zig zagging, perfectly smoothly tarmacked  path with magnificent panoramic views over Cardiff. And it revealed another suburb of modern, attractive houses I had not known existed.

Even better, it led up to near the town centre, making my  journey easier and shorter.

Earlier this week I finally tried another route home, avoiding my usual drive on the busy Beach Road hill or pavement down to the Esplanade.

I found it quicker and easier, and only a small incline. Why did I not think of that before?

Penarth has obviously changed and grown from when in 1942 I arrived by steam train to start work as reporter on the Penarth Times, its population then; today is 30,000 is double that of eighty years ago. with new communities extending westward to Cosmeston and on the hilltop overlooking Cardiff. So many changes and the attractions including scores of restaurants. 

It’s good to be home.










Love 



























 



Love 










No comments:

Post a Comment