Friday 29 April 2022

April 28ybeere

It’s not exactly reaching fever pitch but the local government elections are at least creating more than usual interest.

And they are important as councils provide most of our services. Despite this, national government continues to insist on central control, often denigrating their efforts and underfunding them.

In my long involvement I have come to admire the work of local government members and staff although I maintain they were more effective when they had more responsibilities - and non paid members.

One of the disadvantages was it precluded many people, mainly men, who could not spare the time when making their career.  

It was generally the major industries and companies that allowed their staff to become councillors.

My memory of first reporting Caerphilly district council was the clicking knitting needles of the excellent women members.

Most of my forty years working for and reporting local government was spent in meetings, generally evening, and it was a relief when the larger councils opted for daytime working

By this time councillors were paid, quite handsomely, which made it a more attractive for many as a full time occupation.

My most arduous days were as press and information officer for the newly formed London borough of Hounslow when at critical political times there were all night sittings.

When  I retired I spent many enjoyable weeks scanning Penarth local council minutes at the county archive office.

I found it so interesting I wrote a book, ‘Who runs this town’ tracing the  one hundred years of Penarth urban district council and the men and women who, for nothing but self satisfaction, and perhaps, understandably, a sense of power and achievement, served their community.

Local government today is, for better or worse, much different, but men and women stilll give their time and experience.

I admire them and our councils, but am less than satisfied with national government.



No comments:

Post a Comment