Monday 11 April 2022

Draft

Memories

One of the special pleasures for Rosemary and me over many years in Penarth was going to the Yacht Club just along the seafront. I used to drop in from time to time for a quiet drink and we regularly enjoyed lunch and dinners there.

 It is now becoming one of my favourite treats.

Yesterday was typical. I got ‘dressed up’ and drove out from Bridgeman Court on my scooter, down the road and onto the crowded pier.

Then along the Esplanade where I dismounted, managed to open the club door and make my way via the lift, installed a few years ago when we were having trouble with the stairs.

The welcome, as always, helped make the occasion, as did the arrival of my lunchtime drink, a pint in a handled glass.

The menu board presented the usual delightful dilemma - on one side the range of starters and main courses and the reverse, the equally exciting desserts.

As always as I did when I ask with ‘Owy’, I gave the starter a miss and, knowing the too generous helpings, asked for a smaller main course.

As usual, I could still not manage it all, although I did have a dessert.

A lovely meal and a doubly memorable visit.

It gave me deep pleasure, tinged with sadness, reliving the past visits with Rosemary. I could almost visualise her sitting opposite me, talking about our life and our family.

It made me realise, yet again, how unbelievably fortunate I was to meet Rosemary seventy six years ago, and the love and pleasure we enjoyed together over our sixty six years of marriage.









the 











No comments:

Post a Comment