Wednesday 12 January 2022

January 12

At 95 I may be old but I don’t feel that old and I like to get on with my life as comfortably and competently as I can.

But I, like and millions of old people, p often struggle because of the lack of thought by many organisations.

Most people in their nineties did not have the benefits of the vast technical and digital advances of the past few decades.

Even my reporting work was a basic pen and paper, later manual typewriter, job.

All that is history. Communication and its varied methods mean that most of us very old folks are struggling.

Setting up and settling in a new home, an adventure for me, has been made more difficult and frustrating. 

Many organisations,with their up-to-the-minute communication technique just d not realise our problems or assist us.

They blindly assume we are au fait, up date, with skills like emails and even telephone calls. They make us respond to complicated on lines questionnaires, and lists of phone alternative numbers, assuming we can even hear them clearly, or read send complicated letters in small type.

With so much to do, including sending many notices of change of address and accounts, even with the help of my patient family I am often bewildered and annoyed by the handicaps.

I am excited and pleased with my new life but the transition could have been so much easier if more thought were given to the needs of the elderly. We are not geniuses but certainly not stupid

We deserve better.

No comments:

Post a Comment