Tuesday 7 December 2021

My new home

I am in my new home, starting my new life. 

Bob leaves his turret suite at Sunrise for the last time

It was in some way a sad farewell to Sunrise from where I was given an emotional send-off by Virgil, the chief, and all the carers and team. It was the end of an era, almost two and a half years, living in comfort and well cared for, surviving long periods of lockdown and a spell in hospital. 

At Sunrise I did not need the full care given to the other residents. I am old (very old!) but I have proved I can look after myself and become independent again. It was only a few months ago I decided that I could not stay on and possibly get like almost all the residents there. Since I have been in Sunrise I have had only two residents I have been able to chat to regularly. The rest are are in a world of their own, mostly silent, just drifting along, seemingly not recognising or appreciating how fortunate they are to be so well cared for. 

The carers have all been marvellous, efficient and kindly and have become my good friends. But the change in my life is already obvious. What a marathon it was to move my home lock stock and barrel. Brenda and Ivor managed somehow to pack and mark dozens of boxes and bags with the ridiculously huge wardrobe I had unwisely built up over the years. 

On moving day Robert supervised operations, even helping the removal team. When we reached Penarth I realised what an amazing job he and Karen had done.The lighting, heating, wifi and phone were working; the carpets and whole flat had been cleaned. Karen spent had spent days on a marathon shopping spree, completing every item on a huge list of things I needed.

Leaving Penarth for Sunrise in 2019, I got rid of everything apart from all my furniture, which I took with me. So I have had to start from scratch. It was an exciting, emotional drive back and to open the front door of my three-room flat. 

think it is perfect for me, well designed with many facilities for the disabled. I will feel safe here. It was a pleasant surprise to meet most of the residents over the weekend. They are well organised and very sociable. They have already persuaded me to join two Christmas parties and a quiz. I will certainly not be lonely here and I know that I will enjoy my new home and new life.

No comments:

Post a Comment