Saturday 25 December 2021

Christmas Day

Another pandemic Christmas. Yet for me it is the most exciting for years. I have changed not just my home but my life.

The past two Christmases at Sunrise were made enjoyable by the marvellous carers and team who tried to brighten the lives of the residents.  And a lot of company for me, even though it was not exhilarating.

Today it is totally different. I am on my own in my new flat, but feeling far from lonely, enjoying the luxury of doing as I like when I like.

I think back at Christmases past, almost all of them evoking happy memories. Sad times ones, too. Dad dying at Christmas 79 years ago in wartime 1942, and  Rosemary and Beverley’s deaths within the past five years.

But life goes on and I more than ever appreciate how fortunate I have been all my life. That good fortune is as strong as ever, due to the love and support of all the family, emphasised again in recent days making possible my move and change of life.

This morning I sat unwrapping a load of presents, feeling happier and more settled than for years.

I do not know what the future holds - no one ever can - made even more problematical by the maddeningly lingering pandemic, but I am content to enjoy a quiet but still interesting time.

The success of my eye operation means I can read again after three years and with the Christmas gift from Robert, Karen and Owen of painting materials I can resume my simple effort nurtured by the Sunrise arts class.

What a start to 2022.

No comments:

Post a Comment