Saturday 6 November 2021

Sunrise reflections

Today is my 850th day at Sunrise. Another 34 to go, if all runs to plan.

So, what have I learned in my stay here?

A great deal: in fact more than I have learned in most of my lifetime.

It has been a total change, a unique time, most of it successful.

I have learned to curb my natural impatience, to take my time. Over the years, especially when work was involved, I was always too keen to get things done, at once. 

With the luxury of time, I have slowed down, thinking before acting, and it has made life easier.

One of the most rewarding aspects of my life at Sunrise has been keeping in touch with my family and friends. I have sent and received hundreds, thousands maybe, of emails, and had many Zoom chats with Robert and the family.

I have enjoyed a range of activities, including the Sunrise entertainment programme to which I have contributed, but my main interest has been writing, every morning, including the daily diary that led to my book.

Old age inevitably involves some slowing up, and lockdown has not helped me keep awareness of time, days and dates, but generally the days have passed smoothly. I just let them roll by.

I have tried to keep positive, not to worry, and certainly not to panic although misplacing or losing things, even for a short time, has been a problem.

Altogether, life at Sunrise has proved one of the most settled periods in my life for which I shall always be grateful.

No comments:

Post a Comment