Friday 26 November 2021

What more could I ask for?

Another milestone in a very long lifetime road. And a memorable one. In November 1926 when I arrived at 20 Bushey Road, West Ham, neither I nor anyone could foresee how exciting and revolutionary the next century would be. it was a smaller world, population just over two billion - now eight billion - and I could expect to live perhaps to seventy, the average life span. 

Roads were bustling with horses and carts - the new fangled cars few and far between. Gas lighting in streets and homes. Coal fires. Food was more basic. Cheap, too but wholesome - a loaf cost twopence. 

So a dull start to little Bob's life? Not at all. I enjoyed those early years and I have continued to enjoy life over the decades, welcoming all the developments and discoveries that have made life more comfortable, more complicated, even if more dangerous. Looking back, I realise and appreciate what good fortune I have had - my parents, brother and sister, home life and a marvellous family that has extended over the years. 

What more could I ask for?

No comments:

Post a Comment