Monday 15 November 2021

The lessons of history

As most of my family know, my school attempt at history earned me the report, ‘too vague and romantic’. Translated? I made it up. And there was some truth in that.

I was just not interested in dates and facts on royalty so I used my imagination.

It is strange, therefore, that, more than eighty years later, I am absorbed in history. 

Living through the war and, more importantly, the seventy years that followed, I am relishing learning of momentous battles, deadly dictators and national heroes.

It has made me more aware of the literally historic changes that have taken place and are being enacted today.

Having had the luxury in lockdown of time to read and watch television, history is now my favourite subject.

I have just watched two magnificent series, on the last war and Franco’s 40 year rule in Spain. Both were a revelation, bringing to life the events that led to millions of deaths.

Countries are still threatening violence in the name of national self interest. Ignoring the disasters it has caused, blind to the growing dangers not only of war but the impending disaster of global warming,

Will we ever learn?

No comments:

Post a Comment