Monday 6 September 2021

Down your whey...

In my reporting days I interviewed many people and later, in local government, was interviewed as a spokesman, not at all an easy task.

But one interview I enjoyed was in the long running radio programme, Down Your Way, presented by the excellent, genial Franklin Engelmann.

As public relations officer for Caerphilly council, I had found him a selection of interesting local characters to interview, when he said, ‘Why don’t you come on the programme’?

So I did, giving details of my job and, as with all the interviewees, suggesting a favourite record to be played.

I chose the popular Men of Harlech march from Edward German’s Welsh Rhapsody.

The show went well, apart for one hitch. I had managed to persuade an elderly Caerphilly farmer, John Roberts, who used to produce miniature ‘real’ Caerphilly cheeses for Council VIP guests including once for the Queen, on condition he chose a hymn and said a prayer in his interview.

Franklin Engelmann kept his promise and all went well. Unwisely, when I met the farmer to thank him, he was not at all impressed. 

‘Why’, I asked,

‘You chose the wrong tone for my hymn’, he grumbled  

When I asked the presenter for his autograph for my daughter Beverley he did so, adding a quip I had made, that they programme should have been called Down your Whey.

I  shudder to think what farmer Roberts would have thought of my other joke, ‘What a friend we have in cheeses.’

No comments:

Post a Comment