Friday 3 September 2021

Making the news



The BBC reports on Bob's diary book

An exciting morning. I have just seen the report on BBC Wales online news on my book. I am delighted with it. Radio Wales news also featured it and it may be on BBC Wales television news this evening.

Yesterday’s interview at Sunrise by the BBC reporter was one of the best examples of reporting I have known. 

When I was involved briefly in television 60 years ago it was a ponderous business, with a three-man crew: producer, reporter and cameraman. Now reporters are on their own, jacks and jills of all trades.

Brian Walsh yesterday was brilliant. He was patient, meticulous and totally professional. He had done his research and had chosen the book extracts for me to read. That made it much more direct and personal. 


I did not have to worry about hearing his questions as Sara Reading, the Sunrise general manager, sat nearby, making sure I heard them. 

That hour and a half interview was the most rewarding in my experience and I am glad I remembered the basic lessons I learned so many years ago, to listen carefully to the questions, stay still and answer directly and clearly.

Robert and I think the book is an important record  of the unique pandemic experiences, probably the first such account published.

It needed publicity and we were fortunate to have the very efficient Sunrise press team team led by Anokhi Popat who handled the press releases.

It has been an exciting experience.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Bob, how wonderful it is to read your diary. I have often thought of you and wondered how you were doing, your diary has clearly explained that you are as still sharp and observant as ever. Much love Rosemary Mathews (neeJones)

    ReplyDelete