Wednesday 26 May 2021

View from the turret

Looking out from my Sunrise turret room onto Cyncoed Road, the most significant difference change is ... the traffic.

I have known the road for nearly 90 years when to the north, the road led mostly to fields with hardly a house in sight. Even 50 years ago, Hollybush Road became a country lane not far from here. Today it is the route to new communities, schools, shops and thousands of homes. A whole new area of the much expanded city.

My uncles Walter and George lived in or just off  Cyncoed Road when it was one of the most attractive parts of Cardiff. It still is.

Cars were few and far between in those days but over the years attractive front hardens were were spoiled as garages were added and space for two or more cars.

Walter was unusual in having a car, an Austin Twelve saloon, to me the epitome of a luxury, which I loved to ride in - KG 9291, a Cardiff registration umber plate.

My most exciting ride, when I was young, was one from our home in West Ham, London for a family Christmas in Cardiff. It took all day.

Looking out, onto Cyncoed Road, I sometimes conjure up seeing Uncle Walter, Auntie Ethel and my cousin Joan passing by Sunrise.

No comments:

Post a Comment