Wednesday 12 May 2021

Mr Drakeford, let us go out!

I am one of 13,600 who live in care homes in Wales and have had our two vaccinations. I have also had coronavirus and am recovering.

So I should be relieved and happy. But although I have have been very fortunate I am frustrated and surprised. While life is opening up for everyone else, I, and all the care home residents, are being left behind. 

Despite all the plans and pleas, no one seems to be listening. We have been marooned for almost 18 months. We can at least now have one hour visits by one nominated person at a time, but that is not enough.

Sunrise is an excellent, well-run home with a magnificent team who make life comfortable and as interesting as possible, but they cannot make decisions on relaxing what is for most a tedious time.That is up to the government. 

The election showed that Wales backed Mark Drakeford, the first minister, because of his handling of the crisis but even he is remarkably quiet on the plight of us old people.  

England has just announced that care home residents can now go out. I hope our new government will be bold enough to decide it is time to give us a livelier life.

No comments:

Post a Comment