Sunday 28 March 2021

A barbecue summer?


Bob and the barbecue he built

The prospect of being allowed out after months of restrictions has led to a boom in the sale of barbecues.We can’t wait to refresh our skills, burning steaks, hot dogs and beef burgers.

I am a barbecue enthusiast and can look back on some magnificent meals, and some embarrassing failures, as an outdoor chef.

Most of them have been family affairs with our Winnipeg Drive, Cardiff garden providing many memorable evenings. There was plenty of space - we had as many as twenty people sometimes - and I built a brick barbecue in one corner. 

I am no brickie and it showed, but I was proud of it - it even had a shelf - and although it leaned it lasted many years, and may even still be there.

Steaks were my favourite although we had mixed menus, including fish.

There were sumptuous barbecues with David, my daughter's father in law, as head cook in their Cardiff garden and for many years Braydon Manor was a perfect setting. The speciality there was mostly Spanish style meat from a local farmer. Steak and red wine, what a treat!

Barbecues are a favourite in many countries as I discovered. In America, home of the hot dog and beef burger, it is an art form.

Rosemary and I had wonderful times in Jim and Betty’s lovely garden in Des Moines and his alfresco meals were among the best ever.

He had a very large barbecue, big enough for a family roasts. Sitting there in the evening, fireflies flashing, was magical.

More down to earth even though it was on a hillside was an amazing mass barbecue in Phoenix, Arizona.

I was attending a convention of American company chief executives, promoting the UK for conferences.  A big affair with 6,000 delegates.The highlight for me was the night time barbecue above the city. 

At dusk, a fleet of 100 Greyound coaches took us into the hills.

We then walked up to the site being offered gin and tonics or whisky from dozens of stalls set up on the roadside.

The site had hundreds of benches in three different coloured sections and we were  given red, green or yellow scarves. 

Then the feast began; massive steaks, beef burgers and hot dogs with unlimited beer. Quite an evening.

Holiday memories include traditional ones in the Australian outback in Alice Springs, and on the riverside terrace of our hotel in Bangkok.

So I say, bring out those barbecues. I hope to enjoy a few.

if you are thinking of holding one I would not mind an invitation.

No comments:

Post a Comment