Sunday 6 December 2020

Coronavirus diary, Sunday 6 December


Care home residents have been tragic victims of coronavirus, scarcely ever out of the news, the carers and staff bravely trying to keep us safe.

But the scene and the mood in the homes is changing. With visiting resumed, we are at last welcoming family and friends, if only briefly. 

I experienced this yesterday when my son drove to Cardiff days after the lockdown in England ended.

Waiting impatiently for a precious hour-long chat, I was worried when  Robert, always meticulous on timing, did not join me in the meeting room, the library.

I did not realise that Sunrise had started fast testing for visitors and he was waiting for the all clear.

He came in smiling, in full PPE gear. It was over three months since he was last here, at the end of his family holiday in West Wales, which itself came 6 weeks after our first pandemic meeting was broadcast on television.

That was a false start. After months of keeping a clean sheet Sunrise, following  other care homes throughout  Britain, was struck by coronavirus. Two of our oldest residents died and eight were tested positive, including me. I was called out of our art class to hear the news. 

I recovered after three weeks in hospital, returning to Sunrise where I am improving steadily.

Robert’s visit was a marvellous fillip and it might be even better soon with care homes first in line in the massive vaccination programme.  If so, and with the fast testing, by Christmas care home residents may be welcoming family and friends in our rooms and, maybe, having a hug, the first for almost nine months.



That really is something to look forward to. I have bought a Christmas tree and from my window its twinkling lights are sending out the message of Christmas. 

It is difficult not to be excited with the prospect of good tidings for the new year and a return to normal life and the every day pleasures that we had taken for granted. 

I can’t wait to get on my scooter and drive out into the real world.

No comments:

Post a Comment